United Community is seeking new Board Members
Please read the following carefully. If you are interested in joining the United Community Corporation Board of Trustees please forward your Letter of interest and resume to the Secretary of the Board at 332 South 8th Street Newark NJ 07103 or to email@example.com by 10/04/2016.
We are looking for board members who believe in our mission and are willing to be active in their governance roles. We believe that this work has never been more important than it is today. United Community Corporation (UCC) is entering a challenging and exciting time, as economic pressures on our customers increase and the demand for our services continues to rise. We have a tradition of high quality service provision and activism related to the economic security and community engagement of our customers, and we invite you to become part of our team. As a federally designated Community Action Agency, our Board of Directors seeks representatives from the public, private and low income sectors. Our Board Development Committee is seeking potential board candidates to represent the Low-Income and Public sector. Below is a copy of our board member job description.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Executive Director’s office directly at( 973) 642 – 0181.
The Board will support the work of UCC and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by UCC’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements UCC’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by UCC for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving UCC’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees and taking on special assignments
- Representing UCC to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring UCC’s commitment to a diverse tripartite board and a staff that reflects the communities UCC serves
UCC Board Members will consider UCC a philanthropic priority and make sure that UCC can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the low-income and undeserved community in Newark, believes in the UCC’s mission and who has a track record of community leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive
- leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of UCC’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of UCC’s beneficiaries
Service on UCC’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
Register for UCC Summer Camp!
UCC Turns 50
In November 2014, staff, past and present Board members, and leaders of Newark’s business and industry came out to the Newark Club in downtown Newark, to help United Community Corporation celebrate its 50th anniversary serving residents of Newark, NJ.
Lots of fun, exciting events and a healthy mix of education! – That is what Newark children will experience this summer at the United Community Corporation’s Kids Klub After School Program for children ages 5-13. The camp is located in Essex County’s Westside Park begins September- June 22nd 2017. Organizers say campers will experience a program unlike anything else UCC has offered in the past. Program staffers have one goal in mind – “to enable each Klub Member the opportunity to enjoy time after school while learning and having FUN.”
The All Day School Break Camp begins at 8:00 am with breakfast and leads in to a 2 hour academic session of Math and Reading exercises. After academics, our professional youth leaders will focus on activities to further develop the child’s creative and athletic talents and ability. In the afternoon, we will provide a nutritious lunch.
8:00 am Breakfast (provided) /Welcoming
9:00 am #1 Academic Program Starts
10:00 am #2 Academic Program Starts
11:00 am #1 Activity
12:00 pm Lunch (provided)
12:30 pm #2 Activity
1:30 pm #3 Activity
2:30 pm #4 Activity
3:30 pm Snack (provided)
4:00 pm #5 Activity
5:00 pm #6 Activity
6:00 pm Dismissal
campers will participate in various activities such as computer instruction, drama and Arts, crafts, sports, music and more age appropriate fun activities designed to get young people up and moving. Pick Up service is available for schools with 2 or more students. Program is dismissed each day at 6 PM.
By the end of the summer, campers will have experiences that will last a lifetime and a renewed enthusiasm to start the school year.
To enroll your child in our program enroll online. or Meet us at the West Side Park Community Center (600 S. 17th St, Newark, NJ 07103, 9am-8pm).
PROGRAMS FOR PARENTS IS ACCEPTED
For more information, please contact the program staff at Westside Park. WSP@uccnewark.org, or call 973-373-7802.